As
the debate over the deportation of some Igbo from Lagos rages, a former
Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, in this interview tells ALLWELL
OKPI that the city was built by the Yoruba and not the Igbo.
Your articles on the issues
arising from the deportation of some Igbo from Lagos to Onitsha have
generated much reactions. What exactly did you hope to achieve with
those write ups?
It’s perfectly natural for write ups
that are of historical nature; that seek to bring to the fore and to
public attention events in our history to attract various reactions. My
purpose for writing these write ups is very simple and clear. It is to
educate, to bring to the consciousness of the younger generation some
parts of our history; to put straight a number of events and be sure
that we learn from our history so that we don’t repeat the mistakes of
the past. What acted as a catalyst to the write ups was this issue of
relocation of some of our Igbo brethren from Lagos, and the reactions to
that action by some key Igbo leaders, particularly Orji Uzor Kalu, who
appears to be speaking for the whole of Ndi Igbo on this issue.
He is a friend of mine; we’ve known each other for 35 years. He made a
contribution in which he said that Lagos was a ‘no man’s land’ and that
the Igbo are responsible for the generation of 55 per cent of the wealth
and business in Lagos State.
Do you disagree with his claim?
Of course, I disagree with that
reflection and it needed to be responded to not with emotion, not even
with anger. I found it appropriate to respond to it, and not just to say
I disagree but also to explain why I disagree. That was what led to the
first reaction – ‘Lagos, Igbo and servants of truth’ which was a
straight-forward article. But due to the reactions to it by some of our
Igbo brethren, most of them nothing but insults, because they obviously
were not fully aware of Yoruba history and Nigerian history, I then
decided to go a step further. I went much deeper into a full analysis of
the role of the Igbo in Nigerian history over the last 80 years. I
thought it was appropriate simply to let people understand that the
Yoruba have been very gracious to the Igbo and we also welcome them with
open arms and we are tolerant people. However, from these utterances
and past historical events, it is clear that many in the Igbo community
do not appreciate it; they seem to misinterpret it as a lack of
knowledge and understanding. That called me to write the second one
which was the ‘The bitter truth about the Igbo.’ The reactions from that
one were massive; some mainly the Igbo disagreed and that’s good, the
others supported me.
How will you describe the reactions?
The reactions I got from members of the
Igbo community comprised mainly insults. They labelled me as a tribalist
and someone who was inciting others to hate or somebody who wanted Igbo
people killed and all kind of absurd assertions. I challenge them to
read my article to see whether there is any place where I tried to
incite people, preach hate or insult anybody. I don’t write that way
when I’m talking about history. I simply prepared analysis and present
historical facts in order to remain objective and not get emotional
about the issue. So, when I saw the reactions, I thought I needed to put
it straight that I’m not a tribalist. I wrote the third one which was
entitled, ‘A word for those who think I’m an Igbo-hater,’ where I gave
specific examples of my contributions over the last 25 years of being
involved with public affairs. When I speak about the North, they call me
anti-North, when I speak about my people, the Yoruba, about our
history, some of them call me anti-Yoruba; when I speak about the Igbo,
they call me anti-Igbo. These are all emotional reactions. I’m the last
person that will hate the Igbo or any other Nigerian. I do however
believe that there are many nationalities in this country, and each of
us has the right to fight for true federalism and to fight to protect
our own culture, historical and racial integrity. To think I’m anti-Igbo
is absurd. Like I said, Kalu and I are very good friends, we even spoke
yesterday (Tuesday).
But some Igbo leaders are of
the opinion that your write ups showed that you and many other Yoruba
people resent the Igbo for their successes, particularly in Lagos.
How can Yoruba people be envious of the
Igbo? As far as I’m concerned, the Yoruba control many of the
industries, particularly the manufacturing industry. They have most of
the investments. In every sector and profession, they are far ahead.
Essentially, the Igbo are into trading more than anything else. There is
nothing wrong with that. I don’t think there is anything the Igbo have
that the Yoruba should be envious of. The Yoruba have seen the Igbo as
their brothers and compatriots and have welcomed them within their
communities and that should be the case. Even after the Civil War when
nobody was interested in having them, the Yoruba handed their property
back to them. There was no abandoned property case; there was no history
of the Yoruba killing the Igbo in Lagos. You only envy somebody if you
feel the person is more prosperous than you are. If you want to compare
it, go back to history and find out how developed any of the eastern
states or cities were and you will see that they were far behind. There
is nothing to suggest that we are envious of them. The fact is that they
have contributed to the development of Lagos and other parts of the
South-West; there is no doubt about that. But to suggest that they own
Lagos or that they control everything, in terms of commerce and finances
in Lagos is absolutely absurd. It has no basis in reality or
rationality and it is deeply insulting. We are very liberal and
accommodating, but that should not be seen as stupidity or weakness. We
will not allow anybody to redefine or rewrite our history for us. No
Yoruba man can go to the East and achieve and do the sort of things that
the Igbo community is doing in Lagos. So, those expending their energy
by hurling insults at me and saying I should be arrested for making
these views known, should go and develop their own communities and their
own parts of the country and stop talking about Lagos, which has been
developed by the hardwork of the Yoruba and other nationalities in the
country.
You seem to be suggesting that
the Igbo do not allow the Yoruba to do business in the South-East.
Don’t you think the reality is that the Yoruba are not interested in
doing business there?
Try being a Yoruba man and go to Aba,
Enugu, Onitsha or any of the major cities in the East. Try and buy land
there; try and establish your own kingship there as an Oba in the
East; try and claim that any town there belongs to or was developed by
the Yoruba; try and interact with the community and bring your cultural
ways there and you will see what the reaction will be. This never
happens. We have no regrets being so accommodating in the South-West,
because it is part of our enlightened culture and mark of civilisation.
But this needs to be reciprocated by the Igbo in the East. In other
parts of the country; the North and even the Mid-West, the Yoruba are
far more welcome than they are in the East. It is not because they don’t
want to go there; it is because they are not that welcome there. The
most important thing is that there is absolutely no enmity from the
Yoruba towards the Igbo. There is no hate, there is no bitterness. We
are happy to have the Igbo amongst us, and we are happy that they are
doing so well and they have always done so well. But that does not mean
that we should give up our patrimony and say that even one inch of the
South-West belongs to anybody asides the Yoruba people. Most of the
infrastructure of the South-West was developed during the oil boom and
the First Republic. There is no doubt that after the Civil War, federal
money was pumped into Lagos, but that was federal money not Igbo money.
Essentially it was the business acumen of the Lagosians and their
ability in commerce that drove the Lagos economy and made it what it is.
The Igbo influx came primarily after the Civil War. And now some say
they own and control the place. We will continue to debate this. It is a
friendly debate; it has no room for hate, call to violence, or insults.

No comments:
Post a Comment